Me, Myself and I

My photo
Hi, I am a professional dancer with big ambitions and dreams... I have danced from the age of 6 but my real training began when I was 16 at the Northern Ballet School in Manchester! There I trained for 3 years, achieving not only my Trinity Lv 6 Diploma but my Advanced 2 & DDI in Tap and my Advanced 1 in RAD Ballet! I have accepted my first professional contract and will soon start rehearsals to dance on Fred Olsen's Balmoral on a world cruise and I have also just enrolled on my BAPP course which will lead on to hopefully achieving a BA Hons Degree in Professional Practice! It will certainly be a wild ride (hopefully) so check back on my blog regularly to see what I am doing and hopefully help me with my discussions as I provide evidence and work for my degree! Keep Smiling!

Sunday 18 October 2015

Data Data all around... But not a drop to drink?

So while collecting data for module I realised that I may have been getting a bit too over excited and not getting good quality data as I was going for quantity!

For my inquiry, majority of my study is actually of real people and their feelings and experiences. So I was experimenting with a few different methods of gaining good information. Some were effective and some not so much but it was a learning curve!

Surveys: I used an online website to create a fast and free survey which could be posted on social media and sent as a link. Using 'The Hustle' I managed to get quite a few responses however, asking the right questions can always be hard as some people will interpret them different and unlike an interview you are not there to explain. The good thing was it was completely anonymous and quick and some responses were good but while sifting through copious amounts of data I realised I was constantly asking them to elaborate... Alas they were not there to as the survey had already been done!

Causal chats: I find myself, due to work, always in situations where I can just sit and chat with fellow colleagues. While it isn't a formal interview session, certain topics that come up often spark off ideas in my head (see my previous blog about eating). Its not by any means formal and I couldn't take or even remember quotable data but it is always good to get things going.

Interviews: While time consuming, I have found the best way for me to collect data that goes beyond the surface of my question is to do an interview. Group sessions can also be effective but I enjoy being able to hear about a story then ask them to elaborate of snippets of  information that catches my immediate attention.

This is just a brief review of methods I found effective. Let me know if you have any more by leaving a comment!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment