Me, Myself and I

My photo
Hi, I am a professional dancer with big ambitions and dreams... I have danced from the age of 6 but my real training began when I was 16 at the Northern Ballet School in Manchester! There I trained for 3 years, achieving not only my Trinity Lv 6 Diploma but my Advanced 2 & DDI in Tap and my Advanced 1 in RAD Ballet! I have accepted my first professional contract and will soon start rehearsals to dance on Fred Olsen's Balmoral on a world cruise and I have also just enrolled on my BAPP course which will lead on to hopefully achieving a BA Hons Degree in Professional Practice! It will certainly be a wild ride (hopefully) so check back on my blog regularly to see what I am doing and hopefully help me with my discussions as I provide evidence and work for my degree! Keep Smiling!

Sunday 18 October 2015

"Bodies go where bodies shouldn't go"

I have often written about how social media and web 2.0 is so beneficial to dancers but I came across this article discussing how its actually pushing dancers to imitate dangerous moves and end up inured!


Well, my instant reaction was 'How awful", I would hate it if dancers became injured because they were copying moves. Also, yes there can sometimes be alot of focus on making the body do "unnatural" things i.e. over split, sway backs! However, deeming it unnatural also could have many negative effects on younger dancers, some bodies are made to do certain things and others aren't but saying its unnatural may cause a dancer to be ashamed of their body!  

Furthermore, who gives anyone the right to deem anything wrong when it comes to dance. Dance is an art and therefore subjective. Its bad teaching if children are being told to dance through pain, not bad social media.

On the other hand, I do agree that social media has allowed a floodgate of "showing off" and this can cause unhealthy competetion.

At the end of the day, a dancer should be taught the fundamental lessons of not dancing in pain and not over doing it! 

This is just a brief over view of my thoughts. Please comment what you think about this!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Anthony - interesting take on how social media might influence others - and not in a good way for professional practice.

    ReplyDelete